As part of National Safety Month, the National Safety Council is concentrating on preventing trips, slips and falls during the second week of June.
These accidents often lead to personal injury claims as they result from negligence. The Houston personal injury attorneys at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers offer the following tips to avoid these types of accidents:
- Always wear proper shoes for the task at hand
- Wipe shoes well after walking in inclement weather
- Avoid distractions when walking
- Install handrails, clean spills and keep the floors picked up to avoid falls at home
- When using ladders, check position and maintain 3 points of contact at all times
If you witness a fall accident, do not move the victim. Call 911 right away in the event of broken bones or dislocations. Elevate the injured body part and apply cold compresses to the affected area for 20 minutes on, then 30 minutes off, until help arrives.
Victims of slip and fall injuries should contact our experienced personal injury lawyers for advice on legal options.