Houston Medical Malpractice Lawyers
When doctors make mistakes, patients suffer needlessly. Medical errors can lead to painful and debilitating injuries. They can cause or exacerbate chronic medical conditions. It’s not unusual for people to suffer the consequences for months, years, or even a lifetime. In some cases, medical malpractice can result in death.
Fortunately, the law in Houston, TX protects patients against the negligence of their healthcare providers. It says that doctors and nurses must provide an accepted standard of care as defined by the state of Texas. Failure to do so can result in medical malpractice cases, which allow victims and their families to sue the responsible parties for compensation related to their injuries.
What Constitutes Medical Malpractice in Houston, TX?
Medical malpractice occurs whenever the personal negligence of a healthcare provider results in harm, injury, or death. Doctors may fail to treat patients’ conditions. They may provide the wrong treatment or substandard care. No matter what form negligence takes, it’s important that victims speak with a medical malpractice lawyer to determine what legal remedies are open to them.
Common examples of medical practice include the following:
- Delayed Treatments: Many conditions require prompt treatment. When physicians do not treat an injury or illness in a timely manner, either because they fail to recognize the symptoms, order the right tests, or take the results seriously, then it may be considered malpractice.
- Hospital Errors: Every day, hospitals save lives. Unfortunately, hospital mistakes can also cost lives. According to Consumer Reports magazine,1 hospital mistakes cause an estimated 722,000 deaths every year in the United States. Errors can take the form of falls, medication mix-ups, sores caused by prolonged bed rest, and preventable infections.
- No Diagnosis or Misdiagnosis: It’s the responsibility of doctors to run all the appropriate tests and take all the necessary steps in order to ensure a correct diagnosis. All too often, they dismiss patients without ordering the necessary tests. On the other hand, they may ask for the wrong tests or interpret the results incorrectly. That can lead to prolongation of an illness, preventable suffering, expensive and unnecessary tests, as well as counter-productive or harmful treatments.
- Drug Errors: Many parties are responsible for the safety of prescription drugs. That leaves a lot of room for error. The manufacturer could fail to warn the public about the potential consequences of a dangerous drug. Doctors sometimes prescribe the wrong drug an inappropriate dosage, or a drug that reacts negatively with other medications the patient is currently taking. Pharmacists are also responsible for a patient’s wellbeing. If they misread the order and fill the prescription incorrectly, they, too, can be held liable.
- Surgical Errors: Surgeries always pose risks, but some errors are inexcusable. News reports and court documents are filled with stories of surgeons operating on the wrong part of the body or even on the wrong patient, leaving surgical instruments inside the patient’s body or accidentally puncturing organs and blood vessels.
- Birth Injuries: Mothers and their newborn babies are particularly vulnerable to medical mistakes. Poor care before, during, or after the birthing process can lead to permanent disabilities and, in rare cases, death.
What to Do if You’ve Been a Victim of Medical Malpractice
In an instant, a medical mistake can ruin your health and your wellbeing. If only it were so easy to obtain compensation. The truth is that filing a lawsuit can be a long and complex process. You must prove that the medical provider was negligent, that his or her negligence led directly to your injury or illness, and that the mistake caused a specific dollar amount in damages.
There is only one way to increase your chances of obtaining a favorable outcome: by hiring an experienced medical malpractice attorney. A personal injury lawyer in Houston, TX has the expertise and resources to collect the evidence, evaluate medical records, hire experts, and negotiate on your behalf.
Medical Malpractice Attorney in Houston, TX
If you’ve been injured because of a medical error, the local law firm of Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P. can help you through the legal process. With over a century of combined trial experience, we know how to get results. Through tough negotiating, exhaustive research, skilled litigation, expert representation, and dogged persistence, our Houston medical negligence lawyers have secured more than $700 million in recovered damages for our clients.
Contact us to receive a free consultation with one of our legal experts.
Free Case Evaluation
Get in Touch Now. Tell Me More About
Yourself and How I Can Help You.