The Texas construction accident attorneys at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris have spent decades helping injured workers. In our experience, there are several common causes for work-related accidents that can be avoided with proper precautions by workers and employers.
While many accidents are caused by negligence on behalf of employers or other parties, there are many ways that workers can help minimize their risks of being injured on the job. Our construction accident lawyers hope you’ll keep these tips in mind to keep yourself and your co-workers safe during your workday.
1. Don’t take shortcuts: While making your work faster and more efficient is an admirable goal, never do so at the risk of your own safety or the safety of others. Short cuts that reduce safety should be avoided. If your employer mandates shortcuts that result in an injury to you, contact a Texas construction accident attorney.
2. Never assume it won’t happen to you: Confidence in your abilities is good. Overconfidence, however, can lead to reckless behavior and unnecessary risk. Injuries can happen to anyone.
3. Have the right tools: Having the right equipment, instructions and training to complete the job at hand is the best way to avoid a work accident. Don’t start a job without being sure that you have everything you need to do it right and having all the necessary safety precautions in place.
4. Follow safety procedures: One of the easiest ways to get hurt at work is to ignore the safety procedures set out for your. Always follow safety rules, and if you’re injured because an employer doesn’t have proper safety rules or encourages you to ignore them, talk to one of our Texas construction accident attorneys.
5. Keep your head in the game: We all have bad days and mental distractions sometimes, but in a construction environment these can be disastrous. Don’t let outside influences distract you from your job and put you in a position to get hurt.
As a worker, there’s only so much you can do to avoid the risks of an on-the-job injury. The rest is up to your employer, your co-workers, and chance. Sometimes, accidents happen even when everyone is doing their job right.
However, if work injuries occur as a result of employer negligence or faulty equipment, you should talk to an attorney about your legal rights. If you’ve been injured on the job, contact the Texas construction site accident attorneys at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris to set up a free consultation.