On October 7, 2015, the United States Coast Guard suspended its search and rescue mission for the crewmembers aboard El Faro, a cargo ship that succumbed to the forces of Hurricane Joaquin in its final voyage to Puerto Rico. Authorities continue to investigate the tragedy that claimed the lives of all 33 crewmembers and the NTSB expects to find new clues in the wreckage it has recently uncovered near the Bahamas. As the family members of these crewmembers continue to seek answers, many have sought the guidance and experience of lawyers.
If your loved one was one of the crewmembers aboard El Faro, an experienced maritime attorney can assist you in protecting your rights. At Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, we understand that selecting an attorney during this time can be difficult. We encourage you to thoroughly evaluate an attorney and ask the rights questions.
Read comments about them online. Review their Better Bureau Rating. And, most of all, – don’t be afraid to ask them questions about their practice.
In order to help with this process, we’ve compiled a list of questions to ask an attorney you are considering before you hire him or her:
- Do you handle maritime cases nationally?
- How much of your practice is confined to one state?
- Do you have working relationships with expert witnesses in the field of maritime liability?
- Do you have experience representing members of maritime unions, such as the SIU or AMO?
- Have you handled maritime death cases in the past? If so, how many?
- Have you handled and tried a limitation of liability action?
- How much of your practice is devoted to representing maritime workers and their families?
- How long have you been practicing maritime law?
- How long has your firm been established?
- Are you board certified in any specialty legal area?
- How much of your practice is in federal courts?
- Tell me about your experience in representing clients in major maritime disasters.
The maritime attorneys at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris (SMSH) have been retained to represent family members affected by the El Faro tragedy, and we are here to answer these questions for you 24/7. Call 1-800-282-2122 to speak with an experienced maritime injury attorney today.
About Schechter, Shaffer & Harris
Our lawyers at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers have been helping victims of personal injury accidents for the past 50 years. Combined, our attorneys have more than 100 years of trial experience in maritime, auto and industrial accidents.
If your loved one was lost on the El Faro ship, call (888) 405-3393 today to schedule a free, confidential consultation. Legal assistance is available both in English and Spanish (Español).