Situation awareness is the focus of Week 3 of June, National Safety Month.
The National Safety Council notes that contact with objects is a leading cause of deaths in workplace accidents. These accidents can include:
- Being struck against an object
- Being struck by an object
- Becoming caught in an object or equipment
- Getting caught under collapsing material
While these work accidents often occur as the result of negligence by another party, maintaining awareness of your surroundings can help you avoid these circumstances.
The Houston construction accident attorneys at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers advise the following for situational awareness and workplace safety:
- Always walk behind moving equipment, never in front
- Wear your personal protective gear — steel-toed shoes, eyewear, hard hat, etc.
- Make sure items stored at a height are secure
- Secure loose materials when storing
- Do not operate equipment without proper training
- Check safety gear before use
- Make sure vision is unobstructed when operating equipment
If you’ve been injured in a construction site accident, contact us today for a free consultation to discuss your legal rights.