Under Texas law, parties involved in a car accident are obligated to stop at the scene and exchange contact and insurance information. When one person fails to do so, this is known as a hit-and-run.
Hit-and-run accidents can include a collision between two vehicles in motion; a vehicle striking a pedestrian or bicyclist; or a vehicle striking a fixed object such as a parked car or a building.
If you are involved in a hit and run accident in Houston, Houston car accident attorneys recommend these steps:
- Call the police: Do not attempt to follow the other driver. Instead, victims of hit-and-run collisions should report the incident to the police right away.
- Take notes: Write down the make and model of the other car, the license plate number if you were able to see it, and a description of the other driver.
- Look for witnesses: If anyone stopped to help you after witnessing the accident, get their contact information.
- Notify your insurance company: While it is the responsibility of the person who caused the accident to pay for damages, when the other driver flees the scene it may be impossible to recover those costs. If you have uninsured motorist protection through your insurance company, then your own insurer should pay for the damages and injuries cause.
- Get legal help: A car accident lawyer in Houston can help you if your insurance company is refusing to pay, or offering low-ball settlements for your damages and injuries. Also, if the hit-and-run driver is found, an attorney can help you recover damages from the responsible individual.
Time is of the essence in any car accident claim. The sooner you contact a Houston auto accident attorney at Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury, the sooner we can start investigating your claim and working to get the compensation you are entitled to. Contact us today for a free, confidential consultation.