On Houston’s Channel 2 News  last night, a family shared a terrifying story.

At dinner one night, Mark and Susan Sadauskas’ 1-year-old son Mark threw up after only eating a few bites. His father said that had never happened before. His mother recalled finding an old remote control on the floor earlier — the remote had contained a small button battery.

Thanks to his parents quick action in obtaining medical attention, Mark Sadauska was spared serious button battery injury. The battery, sometimes also called a disc battery, was found by an X-ray  to be lodged in the toddler’s esophagus. Without treatment, such a complication can lead to serious injury and even death.

In a recent study, the Consumer Product Safety Commission found that 60 percent of reported incidents of swallowing a button battery were misdiagnosed. The symptoms mimic many other common illnesses among children, cause dangerous and even deadly delays in treatment. If stuck in the esophagus, these batteries can burn into the airway, or even the aorta. Another study found that most children who swallow the batteries have removed them from a device first.

More than 3.500 people of all ages accidentally ingest these batteries each year; in the past six years, 11 children have died as a result. If you or a loved one has suffered button battery injury, you may be entitled to compensation.

We have assembled the most experienced legal team in the country on button battery injury cases and we are ready to help you.  Call us today at 888-810-1513 for a free evaluation.