It’s the phone call that all parents dread—one informing them that their child has been injured in a school bus accident. Fortunately, bus accidents are very rare, and ones involving serious injuries are even less frequent, thanks to the solid construction of most school buses.
Consider these facts from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration:
- Between 2003 and 2012, less than one percent of fatal motor vehicle traffic crashes involved school transportation vehicles.
- Over that decade, 1,353 people were killed in school transportation-related accidents
- Students represented less than 10 percent of the people killed in school transportation-related accidents. Most of the people killed in these accidents were occupants of other vehicles involved in the crash.
- In fact, 71 percent of people killed in school-transportation-related crashes were occupants of other vehicles.
- Between 2003 and 2012, 174 school-age children were killed in school transportation-related crashes.
- Of the 174 school-age children killed, 55 were occupants of a school bus or other school-owned vehicle, and 119 were pedestrians.
- The times of day where a fatal accident was most likely to occur were from 7 a.m. to 8 a.m. and 3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- The vast majority of pedestrian child victims of bus accidents were struck by a school bus. Just 30 percent were struck by other vehicles.
If your child has been involved in a bus crash, you may be able to seek damages from the school district or other motorists involved in the crash to compensate your family for medical treatment and other costs associated with the accident. Drivers who have been involved in an accident with a bus may also be able to obtain compensation for their damages as well. A qualified personal injury attorney can help.
Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers are vehicle accident lawyers headquartered in Texas. The firm has helped clients around the U.S. and has recovered more than $720 million for accident victims.
Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers has been recognized nationally for its work in personal injury law and takes a client-centered approach to seeking justice. Get the results you deserve by contacting Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers for a free consultation today.