Car Accident Lawyers in Houston, TX
Injured in a Crash? Contact a Car Accident Attorney in Houston!
If you’ve been injured in a motor vehicle accident—whether it involved passenger vehicles, motorcycles, an 18-wheeler, pedestrians, bicycles or a bus—our auto accident lawyers can help. Our vehicle accident lawyer has over 45 years of experience winning cases for clients with claims against the biggest insurance carriers in the nation.
When an auto accident happens, injuries may be severe. Common injuries include:
- Whiplash and other neck injuries
- Spinal injuries (such as herniated discs), injuries to the spinal cord, and other back injuries
- Lacerations, cuts, and burns
- Soft tissue damage, torn ligaments, and ruptured tendons
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) and other head injuries
If you’ve been involved in a Houston motor vehicle accident, the experienced automobile accident lawyer at our firm can help.
Our attorneys assist with car wrecks, truck wrecks, and other auto accidents!
- Car Accidents – Accidents between two or more passenger cars can occur as a result of reckless driving, driver impairment, driver distraction, speeding, defective car parts, and poor weather or road conditions. Hiring the right attorney for a car accident is critical to protect your interests.
- Truck Accidents – When a large, heavy 18-wheeler collides with a smaller passenger vehicle, the results can be devastating. Driver negligence, reckless driving, improper truck maintenance, and improperly secured loads are common causes of accidents involving commercial trucks.
- Motorcycle Accidents – When a motorcycle is involved in an accident, most often it is because of another driver’s negligence. Motorcyclists are at high risk of serious injury when a crash occurs.
- Bus Accidents – These crashes can involve public transportation buses, private charge buses, tour buses, and school buses. Buses present several safety hazards in an accident; because of their size and distribution of weight, they are at a high risk of rolling over in a crash. Also, most buses lack seatbelts to protect their passengers.
- Bicycle Accidents – Bicyclists have little protection when involved in a collision with a motor vehicle. Most accidents between bikes and cars happen because the driver wasn’t paying attention and didn’t see the person on the bike.
- Pedestrian Accidents – Many auto-pedestrian accidents happen while the pedestrians are legally walking in a crosswalk and a distracted driver hits them. The force of the impact from a car often causes the pedestrian to be thrown or dragged by the vehicle.
- Product Liability Accidents – Sometimes motor vehicle accidents happen even when the drivers involved are properly operating their vehicles. If you were injured in an accident due to a defective car part, the manufacturer of the part may be held liable through a product liability claim.
Let Our Houston Car Accident Lawyer Help
Every year, millions of Americans are injured in car accidents. Tens of thousands pay the ultimate price. It’s a tragic state of affairs, considering that the vast majority of auto accidents are preventable. At the heart of the problem lies complacency, which leads to poor safety practices and driver negligence.
For those who are unfortunate enough to sustain injuries, the repercussions can last a lifetime. Long-term back or neck pain is all too common, as are traumatic brain injuries. To minimize the danger of chronic health problems, the most important thing to do after an accident is to seek emergency medical attention. After that, the next step is to get in touch with an experienced car injury lawyer in Houston who can help you obtain compensation. Only then can you begin to bear the heavy financial burden that comes with severe injuries and damaged vehicles.
Contact a Houston Car Injury Lawyer at SMS Legal Immediately
If you’ve been in a vehicle accident in the Houston area, it’s critical that you contact an attorney immediately. Even if you don’t think you’ve sustained any injuries, it’s important to speak with an expert. Not only can a car accident lawyer help you deal with demanding insurance companies, they can also assist you in the event that an injury has gone unnoticed. Since injuries do not always appear right away, immediate contact with an attorney can save you a great deal of trouble in the long run.
- We’ll evaluate your case for free.
- Our auto accident lawyers in Houston, TX have over 45 years of experience.
- Over the years, we’ve dealt successfully with all of the major insurance providers.
Motor Vehicle Deaths: A Growing National Problem
Recent years have seen an alarming uptick in the number of motor vehicle deaths. Since 2014, the number has been increasing steadily, causing concern among experts and officials. In 2016 alone, fatalities increased by 9 percent, according to analysis by the National Safety Council.1
- More than 2.2 people were seriously injured on U.S. roads in 2016.
- Approximately 19,100 people died in the same timeframe.
- Those deaths led to an estimated $205 billion in costs.
- Over 400 people are expected to die over the Labor Day weekend alone.
Car Crashes in Texas
In 2015, not a single day went by when someone didn’t die on a Texas road. That’s one of the many unnerving statistics released by the Texas Department of Transportation.
The Texas Death Toll
- Every 2 ½ hours, someone dies on a Texas roadway.
- That comes out to 3,531 deaths in 2015 alone.
- Nearly 55 percent of those deaths occurred in rural areas.
Fatality Breakdown (2015)
- Pedestrian fatalities: 550
- Motorcyclist fatalities: 459
- Pedalcyclist fatalities: 51
The Texas Injury Toll
- Every 2 minutes and 8 seconds, someone is injured in a crash.
- 246,335 people were injured in Texas car accidents during 2015.
- 17,011 of those people sustained serious injuries.2
- There were 54 speed-related crashes in Houston in 2015.3
Leading Causes of Traffic Accidents
Anything from inclement weather to drunk driving can lead to a serious car accident. While road conditions and poor visibility are responsible for some crashes, the vast majority of incidents are the result of driving error and poor decision making.
Causes of Car Crashes in the U.S.
Alcohol is a leading cause of traffic deaths. In 2014, nearly 20,000 of those who died in car accidents had a blood alcohol level that was above the legal limit (over 0.08). Distracted driving is also one of the main culprits, having led to 3,179 deaths and 431,000 injuries in 2014. Unfortunately, the percentage of distracted driving accidents seems to be increasing at an alarming rate. There were almost 9 percent more deaths related to inattentive drivers3 in 2015 than there were the year before.
Leading Causes of Car Crashes in Texas
Texas car accident statistics mirror national trends. 27 percent of all Texas fatalities (960 people) were the result of drunk drivers, the most dangerous hour being between 2 and 3 o’clock in the morning. Once again, distracted driving wasn’t far behind as a cause, with 476 people dying in 2015 as a result of inattentive drivers.4 Other causes of crashes3 (both fatal and nonfatal) include:
- Failure to control speed: 136,383 incidents
- Driver inattention: 94,876 incidents
- Failure to yield: 89,254 incidents
- Failure to drive in single lane: 36,238 incidents
- Unsafe lane changes: 34,157 incidents
How Can a Car Accident Attorney Help?
When it comes to vehicle accidents, many victims try to go it alone. They mistakenly believe they can handle their insurance provider single-handedly. All too often, that decision leads people down a time-consuming and expensive path. That’s because most insurance companies are hesitant to pay full the costs—if they can get away with it. Sadly, if an insurance carrier can settle for less, they will. That leaves the injured party with the added burden of paying off costly medical bills and pricey repairs.
If you don’t want to get stuck with the bill, you need to call an experienced car injury lawyer. Only a qualified lawyer knows all of the pitfalls that come with car accident claims. Only a professional knows how to pursue your case thoroughly and aggressively to ensure that no stone is left unturned and no damage is left uncovered.
The Most Important Qualities of a Good Car Accident Attorney
Selecting the right attorney to represent you is one of the most crucial things you can do in the wake of an accident. Here are the three most important things to look for in a car accident injury lawyer:
- Experience – There is no substitute for experience. Only an attorney who knows the ropes can help you navigate the complex legal landscape that will greet you after a car accident. Courtroom experience is particularly valuable, as litigation is often necessary. Although many attorneys claim to be experienced, they usually bring only a few decades of actual hands-on work. With a century of combined legal experience and almost a half century of car accident case experience, the car accident injury lawyers at SMS Legal are more than qualified to advocate on your behalf.
- Recovery Rate – Past success is perhaps the single most reliable indicator of future success. Unless you want to gamble with your time and money, it’s best to choose a lawyer that has a proven track record of recovering damages for injured victims. With over $620 million in personal injury recoveries, you can be sure SMS Legal will fight to get you the best possible settlement.
- Trustworthiness and Helpfulness – A good attorney-client relationship is built on trust and mutual respect. A personal injury claim can take years, if not decades. Without confidence in your legal team, the process can be one long nightmare. At SMS Legal, we know that each one of our clients is special, which is why we work hard each and every day to earn your trust and win your confidence.
Why SMS Legal?
The vehicle accident lawyers at SMS legal in Houston have spent the past 45 years dealing with the biggest insurance companies on behalf of crash victims. We know how to advocate on your behalf. We can get you the settlement you need and deserve. Our legal team has helped countless victims of passenger vehicle accidents. In addition, our qualified Houston truck accident attorneys have experience with 18-wheeler crashes. We will help you no matter what type of crash you’ve been in—vehicle, truck, pedestrian, motorcycle, bicycle, bus—or what type of injuries you’ve sustained.
Our verdicts and settlements are among the most impressive in the state of Texas. We are dedicated to getting justice for injured victims. SMSH Legal is here to give you free legal advice and to help you get what you deserve. Call our Houston car accident lawyer today at Click to Call 713-364-0723 to discuss your case.
- National Safety Council. “Motor Vehicle Fatalities Up 9%; No Sign of a Decrease in 2016, says National Safety Council.” http://www.nsc.org/Connect/NSCNewsReleases/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=1f2e4535-5dc3-45d6-b190-9b49c7229931&ID=134&var=hppress&Web=36d1832e-7bc3-4029-98a1-317c5cd5c625
- Texas Department of Transportation. “Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts: Calendar Year 2015.” http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2015/01.pdf
- Texas Department of Transportation. “Speed Involved Crashes and Injuries by County.” http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2015/21.pdf
Texas Department of Transportation. “Texas Motor Vehicle Traffic Crash Facts: Calendar Year 2015.” http://ftp.dot.state.tx.us/pub/txdot-info/trf/crash_statistics/2015/01.pdf