Here is a checklist of things you should do after being involved in a car accident.
Immediately After Accident:
- Stay safe: this means you should assess the situation for your immediate safety by staying in your vehicle and not risking further injury by moving.
- Moving to a safe location: After a car accident you should be aware in case your current location is unsafe or not. You should move to a safer location if your current one is hazardous or possibly dangerous.
- Call 911: after calling 911, you should follow the police’s instructions.
- You should be helpful and polite, but do not admit to any fault.
- Make sure to take the name and insurance information of any drivers that were involved in the accident.
- Get the contact information of any witnesses that may have stopped to help.
- Give the police your name and insurance information, as well as to the other driver.
Documentation of the Accident:
- Most of us have a smartphone these days, use your phone to document the scene if it is safe to do so. Include pictures of:
- License plates of involved vehicles
- Damage to your vehicle and another vehicle
- Damage to property other than vehicles
- Accident debris, skid marks, fallen branches, etc.
- Any other contributing factors to the accident, such as obscured traffic signs
After the Accident:
- Get a copy of the accident reports filed by the police and other drivers to help your claim.
- Get into contact with a car accident attorney!
- They will explain what else they need you to do. Your car accident attorney will negotiate with insurance companies to get you a fair settlement for your accident.
If you or someone you know has been injured in a car accident in the Houston area, contact Schechter, Shaffer & Harris, L.L.P., Accident & Injury Lawyers to be your go-to car accident attorneys!