Jonathan Harris, Partner
3200 Travis Street, 3rd Floor
Houston, Texas 77006
Phone: (713) 524-3500
Fax: (713) 751-0412
Toll Free: (800) 282-2122
Awards & Certifications
As a partner of Schechter, McElwee, Shaffer & Harris, Jonathan Harris brings both a strong work ethic and the vital experience of working on both sides of the docket to each of his cases. He enjoys using sophisticated technology to make strong legal arguments in court, and his impressive legal record tells the story of his success.
Mr. Harris spent years working as a defense attorney to insurance companies and large corporations. His experience gives him unique perspective and the ability to build strong cases when taking on these entities on behalf of injured clients. Mr. Harris specializes in auto and trucking accident claims. He is board certified in Personal Injury Trial Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization and has been honored as a Rising Star by Texas Monthly’s Super Lawyers Magazine. He’s also been named a one of H Texas magazine’s Top Lawyers for the People.
Current Employment Position
Areas of Practice
- Texas Trucking Accidents – Plaintiff
- Houston Motorcycle Accidents – Plaintiff
- Motor Vehicle Accidents — Plaintiff
- Premises Liability — Plaintiff
- Property Damage — Plaintiff
- Railroad Accidents — Plaintiff
- Slip and Fall — Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death — Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Bad Faith
- Insurance Subrogation
- Insurance Malpractice
- Jones Act
- Longshore and Harbor Workers Compensation Act
- Maintenance and Cure
- General Maritime Law
- DOHSA – Death on the High Seas Act
- Maritime Piracy
- Public Vessel Act
- Suits in Admiralty
- Merchant Mariners Act
- Admiralty Extension Act
- OSCLA – Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act
- Military Sealift Command
- FELA Claims – Plaintiff
- Medical Malpractice
Certifications & Specialties
- Board Certified Personal Injury Trial Law – Texas Board of Legal Specialization
- 100% of practice devoted to litigation
- Texas, 1996
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 1997
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, TX, J.D.
- University of Texas, Austin, Texas, B.A. Major Finance
Honors and Awards
- Texas Super Lawyers – Rising Stars 2007-2010
- Texas Super Lawyers – 2011
- “10 Best” Personal Injury Attorneys in Texas – 2014-2015
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Bar Association Member
- State Bar of Texas Member
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association Member
- The Association of Trial Lawyers of America Member
- TACTAS – Texas Association of Civil Trial and Appellate Specialists, group which only accepts Board Certified Specialists
Past Employment Positions
- Bernsen, Jamail, & Goodson, LLP, Associate, 1996 – 1999
- 1970, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Jonathan S. Harris did great by us excellent and very careing, down to earth easy to talk to.
Camelia Alvarez – Google +
I was hit by an 18 wheeler and my life was in pieces. I lost my vehicle, I had back issues after the accident, and I could not find work. Johnathan Harris… this man helped put my life back together, also took the time to be so clear and understanding, I would refer him to anybody, and this is the best man for the job so give him a call.
MARK TILLEY – Avvo
Mr. Harris was so easy to talk with.His language was simple without the “legalize”if there is such a word. I found him to be a great listener. He left no stone unturned when asking questions.
Google User – Google+
Jon is the best. Highly recommend.
Google User – Google+
Jonathan was great to work with and I highly recommend him! He helped me to sufficiently and successfully settle my case.
Google User – Google+
Jonathan Harris is an excellent lawyer. He responds in a timely manner and tries to answer any questions you might have. He stays on top of filings with the courthouses and status updates with the other side. I would use his services again in the future.
Laura – Avvo
I will be telling all my family and friends about Mr. Harris. The best thing i can say is he always keep me informed. I could always call and get an answer. Mr. Harris took the time to make sure i understood exactly how long the process would take and what to expect. Mr. Harris is a family man like myself and knows how important it is to make sure my family was well taken care of. Again thank you Mr. Harris for all your expert advice.
Kyle – Avvo