A federal agency reports that 34 child deaths since 1996 have been linked to storage and toy chests. Learn more about how to prevent these tragedies.Learn More >>
Dennis McElwee, Partner
“I never get tired of working for the working man.”
Some men follow baseball statistics, Dennis McElwee keeps up with court rulings regarding the daily living expenses of seamen. After more than two decades of practicing Maritime Law, he is still keen on the details that can make all the difference in the quality of life of his clients. Dennis began his career as the protégée of Arthur Schechter, founder of the firm. Not only did he learn the fine points of trial law in courtrooms throughout the United States, he can tell you about the arguments and cross examinations that carried the day. In his words, “A funny thing happens when you put people under oath—the truth comes out.”
Dennis has handled many Jones Act, General Maritime Law and seaman’s wage claim cases to very successful conclusions in addition to general personal injury cases. He has taught at the Southeast Admiralty Law Center and the University of Texas Maritime Law Conference. Not only is he licensed to practice law in Texas and Minnesota, he has practiced in four United States District Courts, the U.S. Court of Appeals, 5th District and the United States Supreme Court.
Current Employment Position
Areas Of Practice
- Personal Injury -- Plaintiff
- Jones Act
- Longshore & Harbor Workers Compensation Act
- Maintenance and Cure
- General Maritime Law
- DOHSA - Death on the High Seas Act
- Maritime Piracy
- Public Vessel Act
- Suits in Admiralty
- Merchant Mariners Act
- Admiralty Extension Act
- OSCLA - Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act
- Military Sealift Command
- Houston Motorcycle Accidents - Plaintiff
- Premises Liability - Plaintiff
- Railroad Accidents - Plaintiff
- FELA Claims - Plaintiff
- Products Liability Law
- Medical Malpractice
- Aviation Accidents -- Plaintiff
- Wrongful Death -- Plaintiff
- 95% of practice devoted to litigation
- Texas, 1986
- Minnesota, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Texas
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- South Texas College of Law, Houston, TX, 1986 - J.D.
- Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, Camden, New Jersey, 1980 - B.A.
Awards and Honors
- Texas Super Lawyers - 2011 - 2012
- "The Relationship Between Medicare and a Vessel Owner's Duty to Provide Cure," SEALI, June, 1996
- "Occupational Ilness Cases in a Maritime Context," University of Texas, September, 1998
- Instructor, Southeast Admiralty Law Institute , SEALI, 1996 Instructor, 7th Annual Admiralty and Maritime Conference, University of Texas, 1998
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America, 1986 - Present
- Southeast Admiralty Law Institute, 1999 - Present
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- 1954, San Antonio, Texas, United States of America
View Our Testimonials!
Dennis McElwee based on 3 reviews
"What can I say about Dennis other than he is an amazing attorney. He really helped me and my family out when I was hurt while working. I owe him a lot of thanks!"
"I had no idea of what to do ,legal wise or medical wise. I got a hole of Dennis Mcelwee.He handle everything and got me the medical attention i needed, and handled may case like no body i've ever seen. He took the woory off my back so i could consentrate on getting better. I don't think there is any thing he dosen't no about the law or being a great human being.In my book he is the greatest and anybody would be very lucky to have him on thier side."
Personal Injury Client via
"Dennis his partners and his staff treat me as family. From the day I was introduced to the firm I was very comfortable with the services rendered.They allowed me to actually feel as though I was a part of the firm. A part of the litigation not just a client or possible revenue. I would never feel comfortable with any other firm after my experience with Dennis."
See blog posts by our attorney Dennis McElwee.